Since 2013, we have led the effort to diminish sexual violence at UCLA. We have been at the forefront of successful campaigns, school-wide events, and lobbying trips.
Bruin Consent Coalition seeks to create a safe, inclusive campus for students of all gender expressions and sexual orientations by educating our campus community on sexual assault. According to multiple peer review journals, 1 in 3 women and 1 in 6 men will experience sexual violence over the course of their lifetime. Our goal is to promote consensual sex, effective bystander intervention, and access to University resources that support survivors of sexual assault.
7000 IN SOLIDARITY TO BRUIN CONSENT COALITION
Bruin Consent Coalition was formerly called 7000 in Solidarity: A Campaign Against Sexual Assault. The campaign was founded by Savannah Badalich. The number 7000 comes from the fact that 1 in 3 women and 1 in 6 men will experience sexual violence over the course of their lifetime. If you apply those numbers to the 28,000 undergraduates at UCLA, it equals roughly 7000 Bruins who will experience sexual violence at some point throughout their life.
However, “7000” leaves out important populations.
- That number does not account for transfolks, and roughly 1 in 2 transfolks will experience sexual violence over the course of their lifetime. We need to acknowledge this unfortunate reality of the disproportionately high rate of sexual violence transfolks endure and we need to support trans survivors.
- "7000" also does not include graduate students, a diverse population that needs as much support and access to resources as undergraduates.
- Bruin Consent Coalition is inclusive of all victims or survivors on UCLA's campus, including those who work as faculty or staff.
- One of the first constructive criticisms our campaign heard was "Why not make it '40,000 in Solidarity' so it's the whole campus community?" Now, "Bruin Consent Coalition" does include the entire UCLA community, acknowledging that sexual violence is a societal issue that the entire community needs to address.
- Finally, we wanted to ensure the longevity of the campaign's efforts. Bruin Consent Coalition is a formal committee under the Student Wellness Commission, one of the student government offices under our Undergraduate Students Association Council (USAC). The work of 7000 in Solidarity and all of our dedicated members will remain at UCLA as a powerful force of student activism at a campus, state, and national level.
What We've Achieved
- Hold a series of events each year during October for Domestic Violence Awareness Month and April for Sexual Assault Awareness Month.
- Promote consent education each year during a week in January.
- Create nationally acclaimed poster campaigns.
- Lobby in Sacramento and Washington, D.C. for survivors' rights.
- Hold weekly meetings where our club members participation in training and discussions pertaining to sexual violence.